Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Bean-Spired


A lovely Lebanese neighbour was so gracious the other day. She makes this wonderful Fava Bean concoction everyday. She handed me a bowl of this fava bean delight and a brand new box of crackers to try it out.
It was incredible! To tasty and delicious. I had to learn how to make it.
She proceeded to tell me what was in it and I found a recipe that was similar. My kids weren't a fan because they are so picky but it sure is a great healthy dish to have on hand for a quick snack or lunch.. As a parent you know how hard it is to get a healthy meal for yourself into the schedule.
Fava beans can be found at specialty markets. I didn't have any on hand so I used a white navy bean but I will most definitely get fava beans next time.
Here is the recipe for you to try:
1 can fava beans
1 onion chopped (green onion or white onion)
1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
1 tomatoes, chopped finely
1 green pepper chopped finely
2 or 3 cloves of garlic, finely minced
Lemon, parsley, cumin, red pepper flakes (optional)
Saute onion and veggies with oil, salt and pepper to taste. Add beans and cook until soft. Mash with fork. Squeeze lemon over it with olive oil and fresh parsley.
Eat with pita, or spread on toast, with an egg, with crackers, veggies.. anything! Roll it up in a tortilla and off you go.
You can puree it as well for a smooth dip.
Just remember to season it to your tastes..


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment